This is a list of useful resources for well-being at and with work.
Own Resources, Talks, Workshops
- Angry womxn*, a workshop about anger I created for the feminist hackers assembly of rC3 in 2021 and 2020
- The act of saying NO, a workshop at the feminist hackers assembly of rC3 2021
- Mapping capacities and desires, a workshop I created for the feminist hackers assembly of rC3 2021
- Doing things together, a talk I gave with Enrico Zini about cooperation (in free software structures) at DebConf 2020
- Kahler's Drivers questionnaire / Antreiber Test - English and German [ODT format (Libre)Office]
- You're okay - slides + exercises of a talk about nonviolent communication I gave in October 2018 at the Eclectic Tech Carnival in Bologna.
Organizing Work / Time management
- Ten ways to make your time matter by Oliver Burkeman.
- Don't Read This Book. Time management for creative people by Donald Roos.
- Strike Through productivity system
- Making work visible by Domenica de Grandis.
Privilege, Power, Rank, Leadership, Gender, Stereotypes
- What is privilege? A comic by Toby Morris
- Power, Privilege and Rank explained
- Identifying your power and privilege from Valeria Aurora's Ally Skills Workshop
- Social Justice Toolbox' group activities
- Autocritique de la revue de code (bienveillante) par Kim Lai Trinh (in French)
- Contempt Culture by Aurynn Shaw, "I bought my sense of belonging, with contempt, and paid for it with contempt and exclusionary behaviour."
- A Guide to Derailing Conversations. sarcastic guide to show how privilege is used in conversations to dismiss or trivialize the other's perspective and experience. Used to exert sexism, racism, classism and many other -isms and -phobias.
- Sharing power in our communities, talk at FOSDEM 2017 by Stéphanie Ouillon
- No more rock stars, by Valerie Aurora, Mary Gardiner, and Leigh Honeywell
- On gender bias and stolen ideas 68% of women experience that men steal their ideas at work.
- Do men intentionally steal women's ideas?
- Dangers for women who negotiate. Some of the discrimination effects in the workplace aren’t the result of bias against women so much as bias in favor of men. It doesn’t matter what personal characteristic we’re talking about—gender, race, social background. Like attracts like. In-groups reward their own.
- Gender stereotypes are notoriously sticky, in part because we’re often unaware that we hold them, and they can influence impressions and judgments outside of conscious awareness.
- Sunlight Foundation's review process, specifically see report and recommendations
Establishing a shared vocabulary
- Benevolent Dictator For Life (BDFL) specifcially in the free software community founders may be in a position in which they'll always make the last decision
- Founder's syndrome phenomenon in which founders keep disproportionate power and influence in an organization, leading to a variety of issues
- Glass ceiling metaphor used to represent an invisible barrier that prevents a given demographic (typically applied to women) from rising beyond a certain level in a hierarchy.
- Glass cliff phenomenon in which women are likelier to get a leeadership role in times of crisis, when they are more likely to fail.
- Hepeating, mansplaining, manterrupting
- Matilda Effect a bias against acknowledging the achievements of those women scientists whose work is attributed to their male colleagues.
- Missing stair is a metaphor for working around toxic people, even though their behavior is dangerous, and constitutes a serious structural fault in a system, such as a missing stair.
Let's talk about money
- The ethics of unpaid labor and the open source software community
- Hourly rate calculator
- Precarity pilot: how much to charge for your (design) work
- Faire Honorare für Grafikdesigner, Illustratoren, Übersetzer, Fotografen u.a.
- Ratgeber für alle die auf ihr Honorar warten der FAU Berlin (Freie Arbeiterinnen und Arbeiter Union)
- Liberating Structures offer an alternative way to approach and design how people work together. 33 Liberating Structures to replace or complement conventional practices used routinely make it possible to build the kind of organization that everybody wants. They are designed to include everyone in shaping next steps. a community for accelerating meaningful, enduring diversity and inclusion in the tech industry
- Project Include a community for accelerating meaningful, enduring diversity and inclusion in the tech industry
- Accountability, Equity, and Flat Teams in Tech by Annalee. Interesting thoughts about flat teams, conflicts
- Difference between consensus, consent, advice, and mandate by The Hum
- Self-organizing system by Extinction Rebellion UK.
- Consensus decision making by Seeds for Change
- Consensus flow chart by Seeds for Change
Organizing Meetings & Retrospectives
- Facilitating meetings by Seeds for Change
- Tools for facilitating meetings by Seeds for Change
- 9 tips for giving better feedback at work
- Giving and receiving feedback by Seeds for Change
- Feedback retrospectives Retrospectives are a dedicated time to come together and collaboratively improve your team’s process.
- Retromat helps to organize team retrospectives, in English, German, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Dutch, and French (French is only partially translated).
- Beyond Blame by Dave Zwieback. From doing postmortems to the Learning Review.
- Workshop Spiele (German only)
Emotions, Conversation, Negotiation
- Emotions at Work and How They Help Us Succeed, talk by Mollie West Duffy about her book with Liz Fosslien No Hard Feelings
- Difficult Conversations: How to Discuss What Matters Most, summary of the book by Douglas Stone, Bruce M. Patton, and Sheila Heen
- Getting to Yes, book with the worst title ever, describes useful proposals for negotiating agreements
- Imago Intentional Dialogue, a method of dialogue for healing hurting relationships or friendships
- How to apologize by Sage Sharp at the Software Freedom Conservancy blog
- Ego states, Games people play & Drama triangle, Gimmicks Great video series about basic Transactional Analysis (TA) concepts
- Cognitive bias cheat sheet
- Why you hate people
- Selfcare.tech a really big collection of resources
- You feel like shit an interactive flow chart for people who struggle with self care, executive dysfunction, and/or who have trouble reading internal signals. It's designed to take as much of the weight off of you as possible, so each decision is very easy and doesn't require much judgment.
- Winter solstice is volunteer amnesty day Have you taken on too much? Lots of important things depend on volunteer labor - local civic groups, open source software projects, and more. Volunteer Responsibility Amnesty Day is about checking with yourself, and ending the commitments you need to end – maybe by taking a break, or by rotating it on to someone else, or by sunsetting a project.
- Saying no doesn't make you an arse article by Domenica de Grandis
- The act of saying No workshop by CyberWomen Manual, by Institute for War and Peace Reporting (IWPR)
- Capacitar Emergency Kit, a kit of simple basic practices for immediate use to help people deal with challenging situations, such as natural disasters, violence or chronic stress.
- Hell Yeah Self Care by Meg-John Barker
- Staying with our feelings by Meg-John Barker
- Self care for activists by Tenderrebellions
- Self compassion - guided meditations
- Greater Good Berkeley: Science based Practices for a meaningful life
- Community Health - services for digital rights defenders (only!), designed to help work through mental health difficulties and challenges, and heal from a variety of situations.
Consent, relationships, trauma
- Consent checklist by Meg-John Barker
- Gaslighting and consent by Meg-John Barker
- Trust in relationships Bish UK
- Trauma and the body basics by Meg-John Barker
- Christina Maslach explains burnout
- Burnout is not your fault
- Demystifying burnout in tech
- Qualities that keep you stuck in a sick system
- Decolonizing Nonviolent communication by meenadchi
- Working with conflict in our groups
- Extinction Rebellion's (UK) processes to work with conflict transformatively
- Organizational conflict (definition)
- Conflict avoidance (definition)
- Building ethical software under capitalism, talk at FOSDEM 2020 by Deb Nicholson
- Ethical web development Handbook
- Charter for sustainable design
(Mostly Holistic) Security Guides
- Safe Sisters - available in English, Kiswahili, Amharic, Sinhala, Tamil, Burmese. By Internews and Defend Defenders. Revised 2021.
- Cyber Women - available in English, Spanish, Arabic. By Institute for War and Peace Reporting. 2020.
- SAFE Basic Training Curriculum for Media Practicioners and Social Communicators - available in English, Somali, Russian, Spanish, Arabic. By IREX. 2018.
- Protection Manual for Human Rights Defenders in DRCongo - available in French, Kikongo, Kiswahili, Lingala, Tshiluba. By Protection International. 2018.
- New Protection Manual for Human Rights Defenders - available in English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Indonesian, Swahili. By Protection International. 2017.
- More protection manuals by PI By Protection International.
- Stand Up - Security guide for Human Rights Defenders in Africa - available in English, Acholi, Ateso, Luganda, Runyakitara. By DefendDefenders. 2017.
- Holistic Security - A strategic manual for Human Rights Defenders - available in English. By Tactical Tech. 2016.
- Workbook on Security for HRDs - available in English, French, Russian, Portuguese, Spanish, Arabic, Farsi, Turkish, Burmese, Chinese. By Frontline Defenders. 2011.
- Integrated Security Manual - available in English. By Jane Barry. 2011.
- DW Threat Modeling Guide: How to identify risks in international development projects - available in English. By Deutsche Welle. 2020.
- Digital security: Surveillance Self Defense - English, French, Russian, Turkish, Vietnamese, Burmese, Portuguese, Arabic, Pashto, Urdu, Amharic, Thai. By the EFF. (It's unfortunately prtty ugly and walls of text but pretty complete for Digital Security.)
- Digital security: guides and training - available in English. By Freedom of the Press Foundation.
- Digital security helpdesk - available in English. Also has some videos and content for specific regions in other languages. By Reporters without Borders.
- Chicago Manual of Style
- The punctuation guide
- Information leaked by your webbrowser
- Maintain Wordpress installations using the command line
- Download or generate web fonts
Personal development, online learning, jobs
- The canadian Job bank has really good career planning quizzes.
- European Digital Rights job board
- Digital Rights job board
- Open Source Diversity
- Diversify Tech job board
- FOSS (free open sources software) jobs
- Debian Jobs mailing list
- Open source design jobs
- Coursera online university courses
- EdX online university courses
Design & Usability
- Usability in free software by Jan C. Borchardt
- Nielsen Norman user experience expertise
- Open Source Design resources, jobs, etc.
Art & Illustration
- Schlechte Kunst gut vermarkten Miguel Schmidt spricht über Egon Schiele, art & zine Werkstatt, digitaler Comicsalon
- Datenbank Kulturpreise und Wettbewerbe
- Preise, Stipendien für Illustrator*innen
- Ausschreibungen und Preise Kinder- und Jugendbuchverlage